Being able to split a signal to several televisions or connecting two desktops to one router, will result in a lot of saved money. While cable splitters might not be the most exciting of electronic components, they are some of the most useful.
You should be very careful when choosing a splitter, but this is difficult to do if it is your first time buying one.
Use our guide to help steer you toward the right product: we provide a list of the top ten cable splitters, give you a few pointers about shopping for one and then finish off our guide with detailed reviews of the three best products.
Things to Remember Before You Purchase
We have included a full list of the best cable splitter options on the market, but before you look at them, you should keep a couple of things in mind.
- Splits. On our list, we have included the number of available splits that the product provides. While the most common option is two splits, there is a whole range you can choose from. It will save you a lot of hassle getting a higher number of splits rather than using several 2-split options.
Pro Tip: It can be tempting to opt for the highest split option possible, but this isn’t always a good idea. Try to minimize the splits to how many you need, as the higher the splits, the less signal it passes along.
- Signal Amplifiers. The most basic cable splitters will simply divide the signal in two, which can be problematic for devices that use a higher signal strength. Many of the higher-quality splitters will have a built-in signal amplifier. This is worth checking out as it can mean you will be able to use this splitter on your more demanding electronics.
- Combiner. Several of the products on our list also provide a combiner option in addition to their splitter function, and you would use this if you are trying to add an additional signal to an existing cable. While this is not necessary for those looking for a splitter, it can be useful to have this function available.
Top 10 Cable Splitters Ultimate Table
Choosing Cable Splitters
The main aspect that you should consider of any cable splitter is the capacity that it can handle; this can be a little overwhelming at first but once you know a few of the measurements it becomes a straightforward calculation.
- Capacity. The capacity of a cable splitter is measured in MHz (megahertz) and GHz (gigahertz). There are 1000 MHz in 1 GHz. To give you a reference point, an ordinary cable television will have a signal strength around 1 GHz.
It is crucial that you check exactly what level of GHz or MHz you require and get the splitter that fits your needs. If you don’t, then you will end up slowing the signal down and causing many problems.
- Cost. Most of the products on our list provide a 1GHz capacity, but we have included some higher bandwidth options. These are generally more expensive but meeting this higher cost early on will mean you won’t need to reorder another splitter trying to get the connection speed that you want.
Top 3 Best Cable Splitter Reviews
The BAMP MoCA 5-2300 MHZ is the splitter that you can use easily and effectively to make sure you have cable when and where you need it. The first thing to note is that this is a very simple device that is easy to install.
Whether you are replacing an old splitter or installing this one newly with your devices at home, you will be able to do so without frustration. Using this cable splitter will not only add an additional cable, but it will also have an effect on your bandwidth speeds too.
This is the best cable splitter because it completely eliminates any of the issues that might plague other models. The picture quality is just as good, and the signal speed will not be negatively affected.
The Antronix Cable Modem RG-6 is the 2-way splitter that you can trust to work well. The device has been designed to be effective as well as stand the test of time; this is why it is made with nickel alloy plating.
The corrosion resistance means that you can install this device and enjoy the results without having to worry if it is wearing away or if anything is coming loose.
In terms of how well this works, you will not find a better cable splitter. It doesn’t lessen the signal you get in any way and is definitely an affordable upgrade from the cheaper ones provided by the cable company.
In terms of what is out there, the Cable Matters Gold Plated 2.4 GHz cable splitter is at the top of its class; this is really a luxurious cable splitter that you know will work perfectly as soon as it is installed.
You can buy this product as a 2, 3, 4 or 5-way splitter, which gives you the same great quality and the versatility to suit your needs. The gold plating means that this device is also completely corrosion free. You will never have to worry about durability.
The price is more than reasonable, and there is no loss of sound, picture or overall signal quality when you use this splitter, so it is more than worth the cost.