It is clear to see why drones are taking the world by storm and many are looking for the best way to get into it. The problems come when you start to look at the best options out there. It is a market that has quickly become flooded with really high-quality models and several terrible ones.
Mini versions are relatively cheap to make and can be sold from just about anywhere; this means that it is even more important to know exactly what you should be looking for before buying a mini drone.
Use this guide to get the ultimate insider tips and access to a top ten list of the best mini drone models on the market.
Points to Think About
Here are some things to keep in mind while you look at our list:
- Flight Time. There isn’t much of a difference when it comes to the flight time of mini-drones. You will get between 5-8 minutes with most quality models, and they will all have a similar charge time. It would be a good idea to check if the model comes with additional batteries included, so you can cut down on charge waiting time.
- Cameras. Some of the products on our list can come with a camera. It is important to note the general quality of these cameras isn’t impressively high, but it is a great place to start for those that will be trading up in the future.
- Controls. Even mini drones come with options for how to control it and fly. The two main types, which are both represented on our list, are those that come with a controller and those that are controlled with a smartphone.
Top 10 Mini Drones Chart
Getting a Good Mini Drone for Your Money
Most of the time, buyers that are getting into drones will be doing so because they are just starting out or they want to practice for larger versions.
Either way, you will want to opt for a drone that can handle any level of skill but one that also has the capabilities of you trying out tricks and difficult maneuvers.
On our list, we have included the functions and technology that make our mini drones particularly good for beginners and how they can be adapted as your skills increase.
Here we will explain some of the features we have listed:
- Headless Mode. This is the technology that means the drone doesn’t have a fixed “front.” It is simply whichever side was the front when the drone took off; this means you don’t have to waste time orienting the drone and it is much easier to fly in the air.
- Stabilization. There are lots of different techniques that company’s use to stabilize their drones in the air, but essentially they provide a sturdier position during flight; this means you don’t have to worry about the drone making any movements that are not completely intentional.
- One-Key Return. This is simply one of the best pieces of technology that has been created for beginners. If you feel you are losing control or you are nearing the end of your flight time, you simply hit the button, and the drone returns to your location. It couldn’t be simpler.
Top 3 Best Mini Drone Reviews
1. Blade Inductrix BNF Ultra Micro Drone
Whether you have been flying drones for a while or are just getting into it, the Blade Inductrix BNF Ultra Micro is a good way to have some fun. It’s not the most expensive model out there, but it isn’t a waste of money either.
The mini-drone comes fully assembled and almost ready to fly. The flying is made easy with new SAFE technology that keeps the entire thing more balanced; this means that newcomers can have more control.
Flying time is about 6-8 minutes for this mini-drone and while this is only an average, it doesn’t take long to charge with the USB Li-Po charger that is included.
2. Holy Stone Predator Mini RC Helicopter Drone
The Holy Stone HS170 Predator Mini is definitely in the running for the best mini drone purely based on its style and performance. This drone comes equipped with the technology that makes it easy for all levels to fly.
This is also why the mini drone is more stable than other models. It has been adapted to make it more stable, especially against any wind that it might encounter as this can have a huge effect on the flight.
The control range varies, but it is between 30 and 50 meters; this is a good amount of range considering you still want to be able to see the drone while it’s in the air.
3. Bangcool Mini RC Drone, Mini UFO Quadcopter
The Bangcool Mini is a mini drone that is good for learning and practicing before investing in a more expensive or larger drone. This little powerhouse has all of the bells and whistles you could want, such as the 3D flip and the colorful LED lights.
It also has all of the features that make the drone pleasant to own, including the 5-8 minute run time and the only 30-50 minute charging time.
This combined with the stabilization features means that you can fly the drone more easily and more often. There is even a useful one key return feature that flies the drone back to you automatically.