Even though radios are becoming a little less common, there is definitely a market for them and a whole range of situations that a quality portable radio is perfect for.
Gone are the days when buyers would have to settle for a radio that produces a low-quality sound, as now they have been developed to be great portable music options.
In order to find and purchase the best portable radio on the market, we have created a list of the top ten products and all of the information that you need before you make your final choice.
Things to Consider
- Power Source. For the ultimate portable radio, you will need to make sure that the product is battery-powered. Although some radios that are described as portable will come with a power cable, this isn’t the most ideal option.
- Additional Features. The radios on our list come with a wide range of additional features that will enable you to choose between the various options. Some of these features include: being waterproof, the ability to plug in MP3s or various devices, and extendable antennas.
- Tuning. It is clear that every radio can be tuned but one of the best features of a portable radio is the ability to save certain stations to the system. Being able to automatically tune to your favorite stations makes for the best portable radio.
Opting for the Best Portable Radio on the Market
On our list, we have included the dimensions of each of the radios. Most buyers will immediately opt for the radio that is the smallest one available but this can be a mistake.
The key to getting a decent portable radio is making sure you strike the right balance between portability and the quality of the speakers. Generally, if the speakers are smaller then you will not get as good sound quality out of them.
Here are some key steps to follow to make sure that you get a radio with the right quality of speakers:
- Location. If you need a radio to listen to the commentary of a sports game on your own then you will be able to opt for a much smaller product. On the reverse, if you need to play music for a larger gathering then you will need to make a compromise for a larger model.
- Reviews. To check if a radio has the right quality of sound then you can turn to respected reviews that will outline exactly how the radio is used and what you can expect from the product.
- Test It Out. While this isn’t always possible, it is the best way to ensure that you are going to be getting the quality of sound that you want. The best kind of radio channel to test is one with subdued speaking. If this is clear then you will get a good overall quality of sound.
Top 3 Portable Radios Reviews
1. Sangean PR-D18BK Portable Digital Radio
The Sangean PR-D18BK portable radio is the best thing to have on hikes when camping or really anywhere you would need some music or entertainment. The display is easy to read and the entire device is incredibly easy to operate. You can preset 10 stations, use the alarm feature, easily control the volume, and scan for different stations.
This radio also comes in a few different colors that all look really vibrant. It should be noted that this radio does take AA batteries and these will last for months even if you use the radio every day. This is a good option as an emergency radio too considering how well it picks up channels and doesn’t need a plug.
In terms of what you can expect from the build, this radio is really durable and well made. Considering its high-quality performance as well as the price, there isn’t anything better on the market that does so well in every aspect.
2. Sony ICF38 Portable AM/FM Radio
The Sony ICF38 is what you might picture the standard portable radio would look like. This has FM and AM capabilities and is a black rectangular shape that goes easily wherever you want it to. The large built-in speaker is great for projecting sound and considering the size of the radio, it is almost surprising how much sound you can get from it.
There is a headphone jack on this radio for anyone that wants to listen privately. Whether the signal is really strong or not, this little device can pick it up clearly. Performance-wise, this is the best portable radio for taking to any remote areas where you might not expect clear sound.
The simple and clean style of this radio makes it a pleasure to keep in the office or kitchen for daily use or to bring on trips. The durable design and solid controls are great too.
3. Tecsun PL-360 Digital PLL Portable
The Tecsun PL-360 is a portable pocket radio that even has a carrying pouch to make it easier to take with you anywhere. As this is such a compact radio, it is especially suited to take on hikes and trips where you want to minimize the amount of weight being carried.
This radio uses 3 AA batteries and these will last for quite a while. This alone makes this radio incredibly convenient as you never have to spend time looking for special kinds of batteries or charging the radio either.
Obviously, any radio is useless without good reception, which is something this little one excels at. It is easy to get all of your favorite stations as well as scan for new ones.