Finding the best LiPo charger can be a mammoth task and will often cause many buyers to waste a lot of time and money. The main issue is that the chargers are surrounded by a huge amount of technical information that isn’t exactly necessary to know.
To simplify the whole process, we have collected together the pieces of information that you definitely need to remember before you purchase. We have also, to narrow the potential search radius, crafted a list of the top ten available LiPo chargers on the market right now.
What to Keep in Mind
- Programmable vs. Non-Programmable. The most basic option for a LiPo charger is simply one that you plug in the battery and let it charge. They tend to be a little slower and will frustrate those users that want a whole range of charging options, which is exactly what the programmable options on our list provide.
Make sure you consider whether you want simple or specialized when choosing from the list.
- Knowing the Cell Count. With LiPo batteries you will be able to see a rating that can be anything from 1S to 8S. The S stands for the amount of cells that the battery has. Equally, when you are buying a charger it will also list the amount of cells it can charge and this is important to match up to your battery.
- Safety. For some important distinguishing features you can turn to those of safety. These include: cell count confirmation, automatic charging disconnect over a certain period of time and monitoring of the battery’s temperature.
- Flexibility. On our list, we have also included the full range of batteries that the charger can be connected to. This is very important, as often purchasing a LiPo charger only for this type of battery isn’t exactly economical. You should definitely opt for one that will be able to cover all of your eventual charging needs.
Top 10 LiPo Chargers Ultimate Chart
|Picture||Name||Batteries to Charge||Price||Rating (1-5)|
|1. HiTec 44167 X4 AC Plus 4-Port AC/DC Multi-Charger||LiPo, NiCd, NiMH, Lead Acid||$$$$||4.8|
|2. UP120AC Duo Dual 2 Port Multi-Chemistry Multicharger||LiPo, LiHV, LiIon, LiFe, NiCd, NiMh, Pb AC/DC||$$$||4.7|
|3. Genuine SKYRC iMAX B6AC V2 Dual Power||LiPo, LiHV, LiIon, LiFe, NiCd, NiMH, Pb Lead Acid AC/DC||$$||4.6|
|4. Tenergy 1-4 Cells Li-PO/Li-Fe Balance Airsoft Battery Charger||LiPo, LiFe||$||4.6|
|5. Genuine SKYRC iMAX B6 Mini Dual Power 6Amps 60WattsProfessional||LiPo, LiIon, LiFe||$||4.5|
|6. Combo Special: Tenergy TB6-B Balance Charger||LiPo, NiMH, NiCD, LiFe||$$||4.4|
|7. HOBBYTIGER BC-1S06 6-in-1 3.7V Lipo Battery Charger||LiPo||$||4.3|
|8. Traxxas 2970 EZ-Peak Plus 4-Amp NiMH/LiPo Fast Charger||LiPo, NiMH||$$||3.8|
|9. Venom Pro 2 AC/DC LiPo and NiMH Battery Charger 6 Amp||LiPo, NiMH||$$||3.6|
|10. iMAX B6 OEM Battery Balance Charger||LiPo, Li-ion, LiFe (A123), Pb, NiCd, NiMH||$||3.3|
Understanding the Charge Current Rate
When researching the various options when it comes to LiPo chargers you will almost certainly come across the phrase “charge current rate.” It is very important to understand this as it will determine the speed that your batteries will charge.
There are four main things to keep in mind when you are determining the charge current rate:
- The power of the charger.
- The number of cells in the LiPo battery.
- The maximum charge current of the LiPo battery.
- And the maximum charge current rate of the charger.
Many of the best LiPo charger options will provide a set rate that will match the majority of lower charge rate batteries. You should check the maximum charge rate of the LiPo batteries that you already have, as some are advertised as fast charging, and then you will be able to match the appropriate charger.
Top 3 Best LiPo Charger Reviews
1. HiTec 44167 X4 AC Plus 4-Port AC/DC
The HiTec 44167X4 has all of the features and the hardware needed to recharge your LiPo batteries, including all of the cables too. This is a computer compatible charger, which is something that makes it great for reading and understanding the progress of the batteries in the charging process.
This is a charger that has been specifically designed for 120V but it can be made compatible with 240 volts with a converter. This is an especially good charger for smaller packs of LiPo batteries because of the output power. It is not exactly suited for larger packs unless you are willing to wait a little bit longer.
The charger is really great even for charging multiple batteries at once. This one has stood up to multiple charges of 4 batteries for months without issue.
2. UP120AC Duo Dual 2 Port Multi-Chemistry
The Ultra Power Duo Dual is the best LiPo charger because it is able to support both 110 and 240 volts, it is AC.DC powered and it is incredibly fast. The fact that this charger covers both voltages is a huge plus and it just takes a flip of one button to switch from one to another. This compact charger really is a powerhouse when it comes to charging and doing it fast.
This brand is known for its reliability and the charger definitely delivers on that too. This durable device charges 2 batteries when you just plug it into the wall. There is little maintenance and need for you to set up this charger beyond just plugging it in and setting it to go.
The internal and external components of the charger are built to last so you will be able to charge your batteries many times without ever needing to think about the charger.
3. Genuine SKYRC iMAX B6AC V2 Dual Power
The first and most important thing to know about the SKYRC iMax B6AC V2 is that it works great. This is really the kind of charger you want to have as you can always rely on it to charge your LiPo batteries fully and quickly too.
This is a charger that does it all but is also really simple to use. Considering the low price, it is almost shocking that this isn’t just a cheap knock off charger but the real deal.
There are lots of options in terms of battery types as well as connectors. It is also possible to get the multi-charger plate too, which expands the capabilities and works really well in its own right. This is a good charger and combo if you have a lot of different kinds of batteries to charge.